History of WFA
WFA has had two name changes since its inception in the early l990‘s when it was registered as the charity Indian Agricultural Rescue Mission by Christine Townend.
Its purpose was to raise funds for animal shelters in India, and in particular for Help in Suffering Animal Shelter in Jaipur, Rajasthan, of which Christine Townend was appointed Joint Managing Trustee in l990. At that time IARM was an unincorporated association.
Under its new name Working for Animals Inc. continues to support HIS plus Darjeeling Animal Shelter and Kalimpong Animal Shelter.
The Aims and Objectives and Constitution of WFA remain the same.
- To promote the love and respect of humans for animals
- To develop the human/animal bond
- To espouse the environmental and ethical benefits of vegetarianism
- To undertake practical and educational programmes to promote animal protection and welfare and the needs and interests of animals
- To provide financial, educational and technical assistance
- To carry out these projects alone or in co-operation with other organisations in Developing Countries
- To carry out some projects with the governments of the Developing Country when necessary