I feel very proud to announce that our wonderful Christine Townend, co-founder with her husband Jeremy of Working For Animals, received an Order Of Australia medal in the recent Queen’s Birthday Honours List.
Christine received the award for her service to animal welfare. We who work with and are friends of Christine know of her exceptional devotion to animals and to their care and for her strength to speak out for them in many difIicult and varied situations over many years.
The actual citation from the Governor General read: MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION: Dr Christine Elizabeth TOWNEND, Leura NSW 2780 For service to animal welfare.
- Animals Australia. Director, since 2017. Co-founder 1980
- Darjeeling Goodwill Animal Shelter: Founder, 1980. Trustee, since 1993.
- Working for Animals INC Formerly known as Help in Suffering (NSW) Committee Member, current. Volunteer, current.Involved in the establishment, 1995.
- Help in Suffering Patron, current. Joint Managing Trustee, 1990-2007.
- Animal Liberation: Volunteer, current. Founder, 1976.
- NSW Animal Societies Federation Former Volunteer.
- Involved in the formation of the Animal Welfare Advisory Council.
- Committee Member, Australian Animal Studies Association, current.
- Assistant Editor, Australian Animal Protection Law Journal, current.
- Former Member, CSIRO Advisory Committee, Ethics of Animals in Research, CSIRO.
It is therefore very pleasing to us on the committee of Working For Animals that the government has awarded her this honour.
Jeannette Lloyd Jones,
Working For Animals
Leave a Reply